Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tea part(ies)

My friend Christine is getting ready to have her fourth child. Another friend (Shayla) and I decided to plan a blessingway for her. (A blessingway is a gathering of close friends -usually all women - to celebrate the mother's journey into birth and motherhood. more here, here, and all over the net.) I have been to and hosted a few of these wonderful gatherings. This time, with it being my friend's fourth child, we decided to part with most of the ceremony and have a fun tea party.

Shayla and I planned quite the little party. Christine had said "let's just all go out to eat... no biggie." but NO way, sista! We wanted to do it up right! and we did.

We had tea treats and tea cups and lace doilies (compliments of my dear sweet Grandmother and Mom, I used many of them at my own bridal shower tea many years ago). The party took place here at the Manor (in the basement, of all places... we needed the space). John was surprised that his Scottish bar could transform so nicely into a tea house. :)

Let me be the first to say - I am no photographer!! I really didn't take that many pictures - as I should have... we were just having too much fun. I was just hoping to give you a quick glace at our work.

Here's Shayla (with the nursling) and Anne (sorry to catch her about to bite!) **The pussy willow branch there in the vase was part of the blessing from our friend Holly. That pile of cloth on the table is a couple of sleeping sacs and a swaddling blanket - given to Christine.
The ceiling.
....And these last two pictures were from the decorating party Shayla and I had a few days before. She brought her three little girls down (the third was tiny and is not in the pictures) and while we were decorating the kids played in the basement. It was hilarious! Zoey finallyhad someone with which to run around. and SQUEAL!! My kid never squeals... but did with these cute kiddos!!

As the decorating continued and snack time neared... Shayla gave the kid's some treats and we set them up at a card table. I was so happy that Zoey was sitting to eat in a chair and looked like such a big girl that I had to document it.

I told you I wasn't a photographer, but you get the picture... Three blondie girlies... so CUTE!!!

1 comment:

Heidi Ho said...

this story brought tears to my eyes...Not sure the exact reason. I love the idea of the Blessingway. I have never heard of that. What an important thing to do. You are a good friend and a good mama. Zoey is looking SOOOO grown up! I love it! I love our girls! BTW..Sophie is the apple monster too!...and hats....loves the hats!