Two nights ago (Tuesday night) Zoey astounded me with her brilliance. She knows plural.
Um, yeah. Plural. More than one thing gets an "S." Is this normal for an 18 month old kid? I highly doubt it, since I know grown adults that can't master this part of the English language.
Tuesday morning Zoey was pulling all of the CDs out of the bookshelf. I let her. I was careful to put away anything we actually might listen to someday, but for the most part she got to play with the shiny circles without much fuss. I said, "This is a CD, Zoey." "CD," she said.
We proceeded to play... I cleaned a bit. We talked. I think we counted some things... I don't recall exactly.
Then it was time for a diaper change. Zoey carried three CDs into the room with her. On the changing table, I said, "What is this?" (pointing to a CD)
She said, "CD."
"Good."
"How many CDs do you have? Let's count. One..."
"Two. Free, " she says. "Free CDs."
WHA'?! DId she just say Three CDs... as in plural? Why, yes she did.... but it's probably a one-time thing... BUT WAIT, there's more...
In the bathtub that night I wrote "BEAR" on the tub wall (with our fancy-dancy foam letters!)
We spelled the word and continued with the bath... Later, ZOey picked up another R and placed it next to the first R... She said, "Two 'Rs'."
WHA'!?
I yelled to John and told him what happened...
THEN... as I was cleaning her "bum" (She lays back in the tub.) Before she would lay back she said "M. M." (She wanted to hold the M.) I gave it to her. Then again, "M. M." (Wanting the other one.) "One. Two. Two 'Ms'."
AGAIN! She said it again!!! And it hasn't stopped....
She really is the smartest kid ever. :) (In my humble opinion...)
1 month ago
2 comments:
Now, if I could just find "The Count" hand puppet from Sesame street... You know, your Grandma taught you to read in the era of Sesame Street.
Zoey has good genes and you have much patience. Keep up the good work (make your work play and you can play all day)
Luv,
UR Mum
Dude! That sounds EXACTLY like Bella at that age. Those foam letters are awesome - she could recognize her letters by sight before she could say them all, and she's the one who at 6 is reading 100 page chapter books for fun... You have some fun ahead of you, for sure!
Post a Comment