Monday, November 30, 2009

To ring in December...

I realize it has been much too long since I have posted. I have started to write a few entries in the last week or so, but fell short of completion. One was about Zoey's rapidly expanding vocabulary. I hope to get that particular post (or a version of it) up soon. I'm very proud of her. Until I get the motivation to do justice to such a topic, however, I'll wait. :)

Thanksgiving has come and gone. I left my camera at my Mom's so the pictures (video, actually) will have to wait. The whole week(end) went by and I took not a picture. Not a picture of my fanciful Turkey table or of my adorable child on her one year anniversary of eating solid foods.... John did take some video on his new (early Christmas present) toy. Thank you Miller family, you will see many (higher quality) Zoey videos! I took a funny video of Delia and Z at Grandma's. ...to come, I promise...

I felt I had to write something tonight... John actually commented that I hadn't updated in awhile. And when he notices that I haven't updated, whoa boy, it HAS been a loooong while. ha ha.

He's at a meeting this evening... The Big Bang Theory is a re-run... so here it is.... a post.

The day after Thanksgiving it snowed. It was amazing. Not so much in quanity or even quality of snow... just snow. It signaled a change from fall (from Indian summer lasting til November). A change into winter. A change into a merry season of ribbons and pine, cold windows fogged up with the dew of simmering pots of cinnamon and clove water.

I'm ready for the winter. More pointedly, I'm ready for the holidays. Christmas. Solstice.

After a full Thanksgiving that caught this family a bit off-guard. (A chest cold for John, a whirling dervish flurry of Zoey, and oh yes.... Aunt Flo for MamaMiller.... TMI, I know...deal.) I'm ready to approach this holiday season with a bit more love in my heart and less perfection seeking. Last year's Christmas was stressful. This year, I want to live in the moments.

**That said, I have to stay focused on these moments and not let myself fall into the trap of letting everything slide by.... that would drive me crazy. That would make me sad and probably, with my head-wiring, make my whole warm and fuzzy intent backfire and make me stressed more and throw my head into a focus on the lack. The tree's not up yet... the cards aren't sent... how many cookies were we *supposed* to make?! That kind of stuff.......

So, dear reader/friend/family member... what are your plans for the coming weeks? December will be here in such a few short hours. I can hear the sleigh bells.

Here's a lifted pic of some lovely antique bells that remind me of the sleigh bells that hang above the library doors in my parents' house - the house in which I grew up. Dad used to dig them out of the attic and hang them for Christmas each year. Then one year we decided to leave them up. (They're heavy!) They've become a fixture there and the last time we had Christmas in that house, I tucked pine in behind the leather straps and bells. It was really pretty and well worth the pine sap-induced itchy rash. :)

2 comments:

Serafina said...

Those bells hung from my staircase last Christmas season, and they will hang somewhere in my house again this year! You should come up and we can tuck some holly and pine into them together!
I love you!

Heidi Ho said...

I too have memory of a beautiful sleigh bell set...two actually. My father's mother lived in a very old house. From the door frame, a pocket door that separated the living room from the dining room,a large sleigh bell hung vertically. It was a set that was very large...the largest bell was the size of a soft ball. I used to sit and stare at those bells for hours. They were as big as me at the time.

My mom's mom was very quirky and funny. She always bought everyday things from museum stores, or would write the local museums to get replicas of things there...One of her last Christmases, she bought me a set of hand sleigh bells from the Carnegie museum in Pittsburgh, I think. Being a music teacher, I had several sets...but those bells get handed to a "special" child every year to play...just because. : )