Wednesday, April 29, 2009

To dream, perchance of sleeping....

Ah, a mellow Wednesday evening. Zoey is sleeping. John and I had "Uncle" Scheimann over for dinner. A pleasant end to a pleasant day.

Zoey actually napped this afternoon. :) Perhaps all of this fighting naps is really her way of telling me she wants to just take one nap a day? Or perhaps it's her teeth bothering her most of the rest of the day? In any case, I take today with a smile!

Speaking of sleep, my sweet sister posted about snuggling with her kiddo and linked to a fab-o post about co-sleeping! It all made me think even more about this whole sleeping anxiety I have. that I have.... everyone else seems to think I'm making too much of it. "Kids sleep when they want to sleep." "Some babies just don't nap." "All babies are different."

Or there are those that say, "Hmm, this sounds like you need to start sleep training." (What the hell does that mean anyway!?)

I get a lump in my throat just thinking about all the different ways/types/ideas...blah, blah.... of SLEEP!

ugh. I don't want to think about it anymore now.

I want to think about Zoey's beautifulness. Her sweet face when she does sleep. The fact that she is growing and happy. The fact that my adorable and wonderful husband makes it possible for me to stay home with my child and let her sleep or not sleep at home with her Mama! Thank you, honey!

And now... I must go get ready for sleep myself.

Good night all. Pleasant dreams....

2 comments:

Serafina said...

Sweet Baby Sister! Of course we put this stress on ourselves as mothers. Each of us wants the very best for our babies of course, although the last time I checked mine didn't come with manufacturers instructions. Even if your friends offer advice with the best intentions, it can often feel more like a criticism. Try not to think of it like that - they're just trying to help. "Sleep training" (whatever it is) may have been the ticket that saved someone else's sanity somewhere along the way. I know I did the "let the kid cry" thing, and it sucked a little... then it worked. You'll figure it out eventually. And no matter what anybody says to you, you are not going to mess her up for life with any decision you make concerning this issue! I love you!

Heidi Ho said...

Oh Trish!! You and I are living parallel lives!!! I was even given/loaned a book about "The Happy, healthy baby is a sleeping baby..."yada yada...GUILT!!! If sleep is the indicator, then my baby must be miserable.

This book caused a major twinge of sleep guilt. Sophie is doing the EXACT same thing that you spoke of..She is trying to take two naps, but really doesn't stay asleep in nap number one...she wakes up the second I lay her down. (after she falls asleep nursing...yeah yeah...a WHOLE other book of guilt)

by the time the second nap comes around...she's a zombie...a little puffy eyed, rubbing her nose, sleepy face. (but still only falls asleep on the breast) and it is also a crap shoot!!

THEN...the whole night time sleeping...Sophie hasn't made it through the night in months..which stinks, because she DID sleep through the night for months before that. : (

I agree with you on the tooth issue. I think that is Sophie's problem. I think about a tooth ache and what I feel like when I lay down with one..the throbbing the pressure..who knows????

Finally, sleep training...crying it out...yeah..all that stuff is just full of it!! I'm sure they weren't talking about MY ANGEL when they tried those things. (insert tongue in cheek)

I have a hard time with that...I tried a combination of the "book" recommendation and the "cry it out" recommendation...and it sort of worked. At least it lessoned the severity of her wake ups!

Here's the ONLY advice that I took whole heartedly from the book...WATCH YOUR BABY!!! There are sleepy signs. If you miss the signal, the baby will get a second wind and you lose the "sleep window" (the actual term). I did benefit from knowing that tidbit. Rubbing the eyes, sighs, a moment of staring, etc... If you can catch that moment, you can get them to sleep when you may have never thought.

...and on that note...it's nap time??? sorta???? kinda??? Heck, I don't know!!! We'll give it a shot.
Hang in there sweetie!!!