Friday, February 15, 2008

A dancing baby girl...

So, I've had a pretty amazing week... I have put off blogging about it because I wanted to add the special pictures. But alas, poor Urich.... I haven't gotten to a scanner yet. So no pictures, I'm afraid.

Here's the good news: On Monday, John and I found out were are having a GIRL!!

This is what I wrote when I got home that day:

BOY or GIRL?!
On Saturday, February 9, 2008 – Charlotte Elliott did the “pencil test” – She held a pencil on a string over my belly (as I lay on the floor) and it turned in a circle. That meant a girl. She did this little parlor trick at Mallory’s 2nd birthday party.

At our NYE mini-party, Grandma Joyce said she was sure I’d have a girl. She figured so by looking at my butt! Go figure?

Christine Marasco thought I might have a boy because at our blessingway for Amy on Sunday, February 10, 2008, she said I looked very good and happy (good skin, good hair, etc.). And that’s how she felt while she was pregnant with Christian. While she was pregnant with Kika, she said she felt icky and never pretty – the same way she feels with this current one (due in April) and she’s thinking she’s having another girl!

Your Papa really came out and said his heart and gut told him you were a girl on Saturday, January 12, 2008. I was dropping him off at the Columbus airport and as we said our goodbyes he said, “Take care of yourself and that daughter of ours.” He felt he just knew at that moment.

I had a woman, Vicki, that I worked with briefly at Peebles stop me in the post office sometime in the early winter and tell me she thought I was having a boy – no reason. She just thought that. (And she said she’d “never” been wrong. Not even when she told her friend she was having a boy and she had a girl… and an unexpected twin brother!)


The Ultrasound….
The few days before we saw you for the first time on the ultrasound machine, many people joked there might be two babies inside! I hadn’t really started to show at all until right around the 5 month mark and – BAM – there was a belly round and cute! Some thought I might be bigger than average (suggesting the twin), but when we saw you on Monday, February 11, 2008… I was assured there was just you! A healthy baby girl with beautiful organs and good sized feet!

You weighed just about a pound that morning and had your head tucked under my pelvic bone. We guess you were about 8 inches long at that time, but never really sure. You were relatively quiet and still while Kim, the Ultrasound tech, rubbed that cold gel all over my belly. (Cold gel, because as she explained – it sits on a heating pad, but it’s never warm for the first mommy of the day!) I didn’t mind.

Anyway, you were very quiet while she took pictures of all of your organs and measured the size of your head. Like I said, your head was tucked under the pelvic bone and I moved a bit onto my left side so that the tech could try to get a better view of your head and brain. Once all that was over, she let your Papa and Grandma Joyce come into the room to see you. As soon as you heard your Dad’s voice, you really started to move around! The tech noted how much more active you became-so excited to hear him! You really are Daddy’s little girl!

No comments: