This past weekend was one full of emotion... emotional roller-coaster, if you will. One of my dearest friends lost her father last Monday and the funeral was Saturday. Then my loving husband's father had a birthday on Tuesday - with the celebration held off until the weekend.
So, Saturday came about as any other day... except we were driving to a new-to-me town to support my friend as she mourned her father. I would have done anything to ease her pain. The service was very nice and many people spoke about the good works, good humor, and great friendships had with this man. I knew him, but not very well.
Selfishly, thoughts of my own father flooded my head throughout the day. He is not himself these days. I will not say he is sick. (The Secret mindset would say he is in a state of dis-ease...) But I couldn't help feel true pain for what is happening to him - and therefore to my family. I haven't been dealing with any of this very well.
Case in point... I get the call that Amy's Father has passed. I cry. I cry some more. I am overcome by thoughts of my Grandpa, my Grandma, and of course my own father, as well as the sorrow for my friend. But I can't even bring myself to call home.
As I sat in the funeral home pew, wiping my eyes with a borrowed hanky, I listened to the beautiful stories shared of this loved man. And thought, what will people say of MY dad? He has turned into a hermit the last few years...perhaps out of self-preservation. He doesn't communicate as he used to, nor have the mobility. But I know - and my sister knows - that he is the same man inside. A brilliant man, full of vitality and wit.
How can I make a difference to him now? He has had quite a hand in making me who I am.
Onto Saturday evening... The Miller gang met up to have a feast with Ole John and celebrate his birth. We ate, we chatted.... I got sick. I seemed to suck the life out of the party. I'm sorry, family. I promise to be my energetic self at Christmas!!
Ole John is a wonderful father too.... I am blessed.
Sunday didn't go as planned. Instead of fighting the foggy Route 50 to Clarksburg, John and I stumbled upon a Christmas decorating day at Amy's! It was so nice to see her spirits high again. We hung lights, decorated the tree... and had a splendid afternoon. I even got to hang out with Tiffany - whom I feel I never get to see. So it was a pleasant deviation from the plan.
I will be trekking to C-burg today. I will see my family. And try to spend some quality time with my dad.
Every moment is precious. Friends and family make this world what it is!! :)
1 week ago
No comments:
Post a Comment