The day has finally come. Preschool. Sweet Zoey is four years old and currently at her first day of preschool.
She woke up early and was dressed and ready to go (complete with backpack on) before 8 a.m. She was none too pleased that she had to wait four and a half hours!! :) We ate breakfast. Watched a little TV. Then daddy came back home to surprise her with a little gift.
| A Princess balloon that says "Daring to Dream" and a little Boots. |
John had to take his Dad to Columbus for an appointment and I think he was feeling a bit upset that he'd miss this big milestone.
In order to take up some time, Zoey and I ran a few errands in town (pay the cell bill, grab a smoothie). When we came home it was time for PBSkids' newest cartoon. Daniel Tiger's neighborhood. Yep, Mr. Roger is back in a bit of a different way.... Between phone calls and whatnot, I missed parts of it. :( But what I did see... "Daniel goes to School" made me well up inside. Daniel and his friends... Did you know Lady Elaine grew up and had a daughter named Miss Alaina (sp?)?! the King is back... and owl too... The trolley takes the characters around. The song is what hit home. ... a bit different... but Daniel does take off his shoes..... ::sniff, sniff::
We've been looking at Daniel on the internet for some time now, but I never let it sink in how much the story is the same. Times change, but things basically remain the same.... I'm pretty sure the real Mr. McFeely does the voice at the end.... :)
But back to reality... current reality.
Grandma Joyce stopped by after lunch to say hi and wish Zoey well. I tried to take some pictures - knowing I wouldn't be able to force myself into the classroom (yes, the teachers allowed parents in... but I didn't want to be 'that' parent... even though I probably should have. Zoey wouldn't even have noticed and I would have had better pictures.) I would have liked to have seen where her backpack is hung. ;)
The pictures I did get... well, they are very much Zoey!
| She said the sun was too bright... that and she's just not interested in photos. ;) |
| The cat looking on.... |
| Hello Kitty and some puffy paint (found in a cabinet somehwere) do just the trick. |
| My sweet girl. In the car as we waited. |
Zoey was so ready. She got out of the car so fast that I had to remind her to take her backpack...
:::Now, my nose starts to crinkle/itch... my eyes turn a bit foggy.... as I think, I didn't get to give her a hug. :( She was out the door and running... I had to drive around the corner and across the way to find a damn parking space - in the grass.... by the time I made it back to her classroom, she was seated and playing....
She's my big girl now.
There were many parents and even a Grandma taking pictures - crying. I tried to grab some shots as she hung her name up on the door... but everything was blurry. Her little body hidden around doors, other people. I never did get to see her name, her backpack... I don't even know if the teachers found her family photo in her folder. (Her first "assignment" was to bring a family picture to class... In true family tradition, we waited until last night to take a picture... in bad light... with no thought to makeup on Mama, or fancy clothes on any of us... perfect none the less! Just us.)
She was so ready. I know John and I have done a good job preparing her for this next step...
But, selfishly, I haven't done a thing to prepare myself... Case in point... I've been craving TIME. Time for myself. Time to get things "done." Time to be a person - not just a mom or wife. And what have I done on this my first hours away.... carpel tunnel's got nothing on my computered arms and crooked back! HA!
I have about one hour until pick up now... and still so many options.... I haven't a clue where to start looking for ME. Perhaps I'll tackle that tomorrow.
3 comments:
"I know John and I have done a good job preparing her for this next step... But, selfishly, I haven't done a thing to prepare myself... "
My favorite line. Congrats—it's a very big day!
Don't forget to hug - every day.
::sniff, sniff:: I'm so glad you posted today.
Love,
GrandmaPat
I am not a robot!
So neat! I love this. Thinking of you
Love, Aunt Barbara
Post a Comment