Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Preschool Preview

This afternoon Zoey and I had our first taste of what preschool looks like.  We were invited to attend a scavenger hunt and storytime date.  This was a nice opportunity to meet some of the parents and kids in her class. 

Zoey was super excited.  She picked out her own outfit and couldn't wait to go.  At first I told her we'd go after lunch... well, the appointed time was 2:00-2:45 p.m., so after we ate our lunch she put her shoes on, grabbed some of her toys and told me it was time to go.  "You said 'after lunch'!"  This kid notices it all, I tell ya!

We read some of the Dora books she got for her birthday in the hour we still had to wait.  She yawned during points...  as did I.  Not because the books were bed...  just because it was nearing 2 p.m. - the time she normally takes a nap.  Yep, her preschool class overlaps her nap.  We have been dragging out play times to 3p.m. or so on different days just to see how it'll all go down.  Some days skipping naps altogether.  We have good days and bad doing both.  So, I think she'll adjust just fine. 

When we finally got to the church, I showed her which door to go in...  and she was ready.  She didn't run off like a kid that had been "freed" from mom's overbearing rule.  Nope, she just walked along with me eager to see the next adventure.  I felt pretty good about that.

Once inside, she didn't hesitate to say Hello and scope out the room.  She found the corner with the toys and started taking them off the shelves to play.  My first instinct was to make her stop and stand with me... but I figured the teachers would tell her if she wasn't allowed to play.  And I was also scoping out my own things...  how these ladies talk to the kids, how they react, etc.  That and I didn't want to be "that" mom...which of course, I end up being a weirdo no matter what... explained in a moment.

We all waited around for more kids to show up, but alas, only four kids participated today.  It wasn't required or anything, so I suppose many parents didn't think it was a big deal... especially if the kid had been in the 3 year old class last year. 

There were two other girls and a boy.  The two girls knew each other and were good huggy friends.  The poor little boy was so nervous and scared; he never left Mom's side (until later). 

Her teacher leading the song.  Her class aid/co-teacher is the brunette on the green circle in front.
 The kids were asked to take a seat on the fancy shape carpet.  The teacher read a book about "I'm going bear hunting" (not sure of the title exactly, but think of the ol' camp song and there you have it).  There were more red shirts (aka staff) than kids.  We, Moms, hung back and watched.  They all clapped and repeated the words.  Very cute.   Zoey got into it.  She didn't really get the exact clapping actions (legs, legs, hands, hands), but she did have the beat at times (legs, hands, legs, hands).  She was interactive and expressive, as always. 


After the story, the kids were introduced to the scavenger hunt list.  The list was done well as each item was pictured and written out.  I thought it was a cute attention to detail that the items were arranged in rainbow color order.  The teacher went over each item and asked the kids about them.

While they were doing that, one of the other staff members came over to me and asked if Zoey was mine.  She remarked how smart she was, how mature she was, and asked her age and if she had any siblings.  I said she turned four on Friday and as for the siblings thing, "Just us, " I said.  That made me proud.  I know Zoey is amazing, but I always kept in the back of my head that perhaps everyone feels like that about her own child...  hearing a stranger say those things within 15 minutes of meeting her was awesome.  :) 

The kids each got a paper bag and the extra teachers took them outside while the moms talked with the ladies who would be our class teacher and aid and the director.  I put Zoey's hat on her head and away she went to get in line.  The little boy was so scared he didn't want to go.  I asked Zoey if she would go over and ask him to come out with her.  She was very happy to do so...  he didn't take the bait however.  But the teachers noticed that she asked and thanked her for doing so.

The adults discussed a bit about the upcoming water day and August parent orientation.  A few minutes into that the little boy's mom came back in alone.  (Small victories, right.)  :) 

During our talk, the snack was being prepped.  My gut flipped when I saw they were going to hand out Oreos.  And she's going to nap after this?! I thought.  I said nothing.  But when the girl poured some toxic green "juice" out into the little plastic cups, I politely asked if Zoey could just have water.  They didn't care, of course, even mentioning some kids always prefer water and that they have a bottled water dispenser in the room.  Sweet!  I talked to her teacher about Zoey and "staying hydrated" - she seemed to be cool about it.  I know a few nasty cookies now and then is totally cool for my kid.  I just will have to find out a bit more about what snacks are usually given out.  The parents are responsible for snacks usually... so we could have a myriad of things.  I just hope a majority of the other parents think apples and even crackers are better than Oreos on most days.  And I know she can always have water!  :)   (btw, the school is peanut free...  hmmm...  apples and... string cheese?  yogurt?!  hummus! veggies and dip.  crackers and cheese.  even goldfish for crikey sake!) 

Yes, I did let her eat the two Oreos she was given.  I'm not a mean mother.  I just hope more parents and teachers think about stuff like this.  (I'm also hoping that this was a "treat" or special food because it wasn't a "real" class.... I hope!) 

Oh, and it didn't help that as we were leaving they handed out GIANT boxes of Nerds candy...directly to the kids.  The director must have felt my spirit fall at that one, because she joked that they had so many boxes left over (from the carnival in May, I guess) they "had to do something with them"....grrrreat.  But then I just had Zoey read the box to figure out what candy was inside...  everything is a learning/teaching moment. 

That, and I like Nerds....  ;)

3 comments:

Prisoner of the Universe #2-16 said...

that's a BIG step, Mamma. I am glad I checked the blog before I go outside for my mail run this evening. We love these steps toward independence and hate them at the same time.
I'm reading with my new no line bi-focals. And I'm not used to them yet - two weeks, they say. Hope I can replicate the "prove you are not a robot" words.... Here goes...
Love, Grandma Pat

Serafina said...

How Exciting! For both of you.

I know the Oreo situation is annoying but you have to remember to pick your battles. This will never go away, and the kid is going to have to learn to make choices when you are not around. Send in wholesome stuff when it is your turn, and try not to sweat it too much. Nothing will make you a pariah quicker than commenting on another mom's snack choices. And remember, it can't be worse than what Grandma feeds her when you aren't looking. For Realz!
Love, Seester

bnicholson said...

Cool! Brings back memories of taking Amanda and later Joey to "My School" preschool in Bridgeport.
They grow up so fast! You won't believe it.