My little world is still moving.
Today in Zoey's art class, we talked about the moon. "Outer Space" is the theme this time around. We've missed a few classes...thought we'd have to miss the whole shebang for awhile, but with the love of some good friends... we just couldn't miss out. They simply wouldn't let us. ;)
Anyhoo... We talked about the solar system (Pluto is officially "too small" to be a planet according to one new kids book!) =8-O The kids each made a moon out of clay and one out of a paper plate. Then we played a game/song about the sun and the earth and the moon. Basically the kids were supposed to hold balls and walk around the parent, like the moon around the earth. Then the parents were supposed to move around the teacher (holding the sun) while the kids continued to move around the parent (as the earth). It was cute - but a bit chaotic - for two and three years olds. Zoey had no desire to walk around me. She was more interested in putting the balls away. (We obviously weren't "playing" anymore, so why wouldn't those darn kids put the balls back in the container!) Super cute.
There were a few jokes about the teacher (my friend) being the sun - the center of the universe, etc. She's such a nice person, one who will do just about anything for anyone (sometimes overwhelming herself) that the whole idea was funny.
As we made our way around the room, Moms (one Dad) and kids... it was really interesting to think about our world, our little space on this big place.... Everyone out there is doing their own thing. We, Millers, included. Just making our own way around the sun. It struck me as odd that each parent was their own family's Earth. We didn't try to spilt up people into different planets - perhaps that would have been too much for the itty-bittys to grasp. It would have been much too much effort for this particular excercise. It wasn't needed. But there we were, each our own Earth. Each kid her own little moon - making her little orbit around the parent.
No matter how old I get, I still orbit around my family. I just happened to pick up my own moon nearly three years ago.
...
My Mom's birthday is today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MAMA!! It's hard to believe that time is flying by so quickly as to give my mother another birthday right now. Didn't we just celebrate the big 5-0 with a Bonne Belle's cake? Didn't 60 happen yesterday?
My mom is ever-so important to so many people. Me, especially. I don't get a chance to tell her how much I love her as often as I should. Hell, I don't even talk to her as often as I should. I know she knows that I love her. I just hope that she knows I think about her too. a lot.
...Zoey and I are both born under the sign of Cancer - the Crab. Our 'planet' of influence is the Moon.
Mama dear, please know that these two little moons are constantly orbiting you. When you look up into the sky tonight, tomorrow, and the next, please know we love you very much!
5 weeks ago
2 comments:
What a great analogy! So thankful for my big and little moons...and thankful that I get to come into your orbit occasionally, my friend. You can consider me a STAR!!!!
What a lovely picture of you and Zoey. Thank you for the story: I see the moon and the moon sees me. And he also sees the people I want to see.
Hope to see you soon.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment