Wednesday, January 13, 2010

An inspiring, yet humble, woman...

Image lifted from here.
Miep Gies has passed away.

If you do not know her name, you do know at least part of her story.

Miep's story intersects with mine at two points, both in the theatre.

I first "met" Miep Gies while sitting in a darkened theatre space. My sister became Mrs. Frank in the ArtCenter's production of "The Diary of Anne Frank." The set was amazing. The actors were unforgettable: The real-life Jewish couple portraying the VanDaans, the not-so-young-looking Italian girl who took on the role of a lifetime, and of course my sister. She was amazing as well. She really missed her calling on the stage.

The whole package had me awe-struck. I saw the show more than once, but can't really remember how many times.

Some years later, when one of my professors from college (probably my favorite teacher ever) told me she was directing "The Diary of Anne Frank" at our local community theatre. I HAD to audition. It was a perfect situation: great play, great directors, and a great cast. I was cast as Miep.

To this day, one of my fellow castmates calls me "Meep-YA!" I affectionately call him "DEW-sul." (You see, we couldn't resist playing around with the possibilities of a truly down-home Appalachian accent-infused portayal of such a classic.) No, that's not how it ended up. Although, I did screw up one night and say "PEE-TER" instead of "PAY-ter" in the proper Germanesque style. And, of course, that's the one that's forever on video tape (which I still have never seen...)

But I digress... I played Miep. I loved that role. I got to be pregnant for the first time (with the help of a fluffy padded belly). I had the good fortune to work with wonderful cast members and techies (much, much above the talent levels of your average community theatre cast). I even worked with a gentleman that was in a movie back in the day. A real honest-to-goodness movie. You know, studio backed... a movie made before every bored teenager with a video camera proclaimed to be a filmmaker.

As part of the show, our directors brought on a dramaturg. (A historian for the play...researching the time period to help with music choices, costumes, and most importantly - especially in a play about real events - the dramaturg helps put the words in context for the actors.) This guy was a school teacher that was especially versed in WWII. He was a sweet guy that was very interested in helping us gain empathy for the words. very cool.

I learned about Miep Gies. I learned her story. I made a connection. When I heard that she had passed, I was touched. "Famous" people come and go. However, this woman's story has affected every little girl in this country and Europe in one way or another - most likely every girl in the world.

When I read that she had answered most of the letters that people had sent to her, it made me smile.

Farewell.

No comments: