No, this is not a post about football or sports of anykind... (Do those numbers even relate to sports? I wouldn't know. It just sounded sports-y.)
This is an update on Miss Zoey's stats: the 12 month doctor's appointment.
We went to the doctor on Tuesday. Those numbers relate to her height and weight. Her height measures just shy of 31 inches (30 7/8). That puts her in the 99th percentile for height. You read that right, 99th! She weighed in at 18.4 pounds. That puts her in the 10th percentile for weight. Yes, my girl is a string bean. :) A HEALTHY string bean, mind you.
I asked the doc what I could be doing to add weight to her little frame. He didn't seem to think she needed to put on weight. I was the one who said I'd like not to see her ribs every time I change her clothes. I told him I had upped her avocado intake - good fat. I don't restrict her eating. I have introduced beef (all natural, of course). He really had no suggestions.... "Every baby is different..." (He said he'd look up some paperwork about all this to get to me... )
My friend Crysta said her youngest is the same way. Tall and skinny. She said "to keep him from looking Ethiopian..." she adds olive oil to his pasta (and alot of other foods) and she also does the avocado trick. I might try that. I do use real butter on her eggs in the morning.
He was sure to tell me to make sure she got enough vitamin D. (I guess it's REALLY obvious that we stay in the shade...) He talked about sun exposure and sunscreen... I asked his opinion of all those chemically sunscreens... he gave no real answer. I suppose he doesn't want to get into with me. I guess he's right. I have my opinions and my sources of research. He has his training. I know my kid (and I) need sun time. We do go outside a little bit everyday. But you won't find either of us at the pool anytime soon. So the doc gave me a paper listing dietary things that contain vit D. Most of the items were fish, some dairy. Zoey does eat dairy, but we haven't gone the fish route yet. There is a fear about Mercury... but mostly it's a when/how issue. John and I are looking into it all now.
Zoey is VERY HEALTHY and VERY HAPPY. :) The doctor said to look forward to a weight growth spurt (based on her charting). I'm cool with that. Perhaps then when she jumps around in the crib, her pants won't fall down! :)
1 month ago
4 comments:
"The avocado trick!" LOL!
Avocados and olive oil are great foods, rich in mono-unsaturated fats.
I'm the same way with the Docs. Here's the other bit of advice I saw recently....You get the amount of vitamin D you need with 5 minutes of sun exposure a day. FIVE MINUTES...At least that's what I saw on the show the Doctors. hahahaa Daytime television is my saving sanity device! BTW I'm totally trying the avocado thing!
I printed pictures of Zoey and Ronin for Grandma (Daddy and I will share them)
I love avocados...
I'll get the t-shirts printed if you'll wear em with me.
LOVE the new blog header!
Post a Comment