Sunday, January 25, 2009

Facebook (I'm backward and proud!)

Ok, Ok... I did it. After much poking from my friends, I joined Facebook this weekend. To most people this wouldn't be a big deal. (and really it isn't. It isn't a big deal, but it's what's going on in my life.) It's only a deal at all because I'm not good with stuff like this. I'm just now getting used to blogger - only to see many people are losing interest in it. (They stink!!) ;)

So, I signed up. I already have like 35 friends or something. I like the fact that Facebook automatically linked to my AOL addresses and gave me options of friends to invite. That made it easier for me. (Although, does anyone else think it a bit creepy that a computer can access my personal account... hmmm... whatever.)

So, I've already made contact - as in real "talking" to an old friend from college. So that's fun. As well as many quick notes with other people. This may turn out to be kinda fun.

My only fear is... I don't even have enough "free" time as it is to do things like laundry or update this blog (which I enjoy) or check my own regular email, let alone keep track of my "friends." John assures me (as do many other that have been trying to get me on Facebook) that it's a quick check in... you can spend just a few minutes and get caught up with everyone. Ok Ok.

The reason I finally decided to take the plung into yet another reason to be set in front of this super slow glowing box was my real people friends in town that I see. Yep, REAL CONTACT.

It started Friday: I had just finished a less-than-stellar lunch with a friend from out of town. There's no need to go into all of the details... After the lunch I called John seeking a way to fix the rest of the day. (I mean, c'mon, I put makeup on and everything! I needed to not simply go back home.) He suggested, after having a great lunch with one of his friends - that even paid!! - lucky dog, that we head on over to the bakery and have a cup o' coffee and a sweet. YAY! Had I thought about this possibility I would have refrained from drinking the gross swill water that Bob Evans claims is a new "signature blend." Gak. But one more cup wouldn't hurt. :)

Upon arrival at the bakery, I changed Z's diaper. This place has a nice changing table - one of the ONLY CHANGING TABLES in the ENTIRE TOWN!! Seriously. C'mon people. Who else in this town regularly walks downtown (minus those "career professionals" and most of them have kids too)?

Anyway, I've gotten into WAY too much detail for what it matters... to sum up... We ran into some of my good friends and we all sat together and had a WONDERUFL time!!!

How does this all lead to Facebook? Well, they arranged their afternoon of walking and kids and bakery-ness through Facebook postings. I could have known about this adventure beforehand! I could know about future adventures! I was ready to sign up.

You see, I NEED my friends. BUT...I'm not good about keeping in touch AT ALL. I have serious problems even CALLING people. You'd think with this *glowing and outgoing* personality that I would be all over the place with playdates and coffee outings.... but I'm socially inept!! John frequently "shakes his head" at me for not wanting to call people.

What can I say?! I'm weird. Perhaps my hatred of the phone call stems from years of Elementary afterschool calls from this girl named LeighAnn. She would call me at my Grandma's house afterschool and the conversation would go as follows:

LeighAnn: "Hey, what are you doing?"
Me: "Nothing. Just watching TV. What about you?"
L: "Nothing."
pause
L: "What are you watching?"
Me: "Umm.. Thundercats." (or whatever it was... )
L: "Oh, yeah, what channel?"
Me: "(sigh) Channel Ten."
L: "Oh."
long pause. (She's changed to channel ten. We're now "watching together.")
L: "I like this show."
Me: "Yeah, me too."
L: "Well, I guess I'll talk to you later."
Me: "Ok, see you tomorrow."

This went on EVERY DAY afterschool. I'm sure in the beginning it wasn't so sigh-filled... but that's how I remember it.

It could be that or the fact that I don't hear very well. I like to SEE people when I talk to them. That and these cell phones make my head hot and my current phone makes humming, high-pitched sounds.
... Did I just say "these cell phones" as in, I'm an old man sitting on the front porch of the hardware store... "these kids these days..." Oh, Lord.....

So, I'm on Facebook. Are you?

Do you want to get together and go have coffee at the bakery? They have a changing table and pretty good food.

...Why do I feel like the geeky band kid carrying my tray through the lunchroom?

Oh, 'cause I AM THAT KID!!!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Lol..... I am glad you joined the madness on facebook, Trisha:-)

Serafina said...

I don't like to talk on the phone either. Might be because Dad convinced us that Cell Phones Cause Brain Tumors. Might be because we're a bit dweeby...

I'm glad you joined Facebook!

Trisha said...

"dweeby" Yep, that's us. That made me laugh. out. loud.

Keith Strother said...

Just 'cause I'm too lazy to leave comments doesn't mean I don't read every post you put up here. Which I do, by the way.

Facebook...they claim it's a great way to arrange meet ups and all that. Not once has it worked for me. I get invited to things through it all the time...I just don't ever go. It requires leaving the house, which I grow less fond of with every inch of snow and drop in temperature by even one degree.

I hate hate hate the phone. If I didn't have a kid and my five or so friends I would just chuck the damn thing into the Mon and be done with it. My last cell phone fell in the toilet, which made me happier than you can possibly imagine.