Monday, November 3, 2008

A moment to set this memory.

With a turn back of the clock, it is already dark... Dark. Dark enough now to make you think it could be 10 o'clock. But it isn't. It isn't even 6 p.m. yet. ~heavy sigh~
Oh well. With this season of early night, I feel ashamed that I have squandered my light-filled evenings. But instead of dwelling on that point, I celebrate THIS one.
I am sitting on my pretty orange/red/rust couch, snuggled up with my baby bean! She hasn't been napping well. (Ok, I've not been good about setting a "schedule.") But she's happy daily, so I fear not. Since the turn back of the clocks, Zoey has been up EARLY (as in 5 a.m. sometimes as late as 6:30a.m.) I've been trying to get her to go back to bed these last two days, but.... the fittful sleep in that hour or so isn't great (I'm not even sure if she is sleeping, I'm usually in Zombie-mode at that time.) We get up and then about an hour later we try to get a nap in. Weird, a "nap" at 8 a.m. :)
***And just like that…it’s after 9 p.m.
The last few hours have been full of this and that. Zoey had been sleeping in the wrap on my chest…that was what prompted this entry. As I said earlier, she has been having a difficult time adjusting to the end of Daylight Savings. (It’s more likely that I am the one having trouble getting her to adjust.) But I digress…
Sweet Zoey Bean was tucked in tight on my chest and doing some heavy breathing or mouth breathing or simply just drooling. When I took her out of the wrap, I had a wet spot larger than her head on my shirt! It may sound odd, but that little quirky moment will probably last with me forever. :) I’m trying very hard to remember the simplest things about our daily life these days.
John and I were talking last week about these precious months and how quickly they go by. Neither of us want to rush any of the time, but we still catch ourselves thinking ahead about her walking and talking and being able to “go and do” things with her (that she’ll remember). I was on the couch –after she had gone to bed- thinking about the first few weeks when she would curl up on my chest and sleep and sleep – in a little ball. She was a ‘big’ little baby, but she still fit right on my chest. Now, my sweet 19 week old baby holds her head up every time she’s on my chest. She is constantly looking around and is much longer than my torso. She is growing so beautifully and so quickly….
************
We visited Clarksburg yesterday. My father finally held Zoey. He’s now in a hospital bed. I’m sure he’s miserable, and yet, that extra bit of security (the big bed with rails) made him and me feel better about him holding her. At least I hope he felt better about it. I didn’t give him much of a choice. :) I want them both to experience each other – even if only for a few minutes of contact at a time.
Grandma was pretty chipper. She and Zoey hung out a bit too. One of the ladies had painted Grandma’s nails – shiny pink. I couldn’t quite tell how she felt about it, but I must say, it made her hands look really cute! They looked younger. It was cool. Unexpected.
My dear Mother was happy to see us. She played with Z and that made me happy. I wish Zoey could have more quality time with her Grandma. I’d like to figure out a way to get down there more often. It’s just difficult because John is working so much these days. The weekends are pretty much the only time we get to see each other. Even with that, we rarely have any quality time. He’s always busy and with whatever downtime we have – I push to get the other house cleaned out or work on this house. He doesn’t see this kind of activity as restful or even remotely fun. I guess that’s why men and women are different. I want to get things done while we are together. To me, that is spending time together. We’d get to work on our house and make our home. …make our home….
Again, I have diverted myself… I suppose I should end this little ditty. If I feel like commenting on the upcoming election… that should be a post in itself.
Love,
Mama Miller

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Ahhhh Trisha, you have made me remember M&J both falling asleep on my chest, curled in little balls....I love that. Hmm. Maybe I will have another:-) Teehee

Serafina said...

I'm glad you're writing about these early days, because they were too easy for me to forget... the nice parts and the frustrating ones. :) Naps are precious!
Love,
Your Seester.

bnicholson said...

How small a portion of our life it is that we really enjoy! In youth we are looking forward to things that are to come; in old age we are looking backward to things that are gone past; in manhood, although we appear indeed to be more occupied in things that are present, yet even that is too often absorbed in vague determinations to be vastly happy on some future day when we have time.
C. C. Colton

Jenny said...

That is a wonderful quote, and reminds me why I study Buddhist meditation!!! Being mindful and in the moment is a constant struggle, but well worth the while.

Trisha, 'Buddhism for Mothers' is a wonderful book that I got when Mallie was about Zoey's age. You would like it! You don't have be all 'buddhist monkish' to love it:-)