So, I have always been one to get a wild burr up my rear (out of nowhere) to clean. Always. Just like Mom. One minute it's "Hey, I think I'll have a cuppa coffee." The next minute, I'm on a tear with a vaccum or scurrying around sorting through piles of piles... sometimes I actually get my coffee to fuel my cleaning.
This journey into motherhood hasn't really been that different... On the surface. Knowing me, as most of you who read this do, I have a list for everything and a plan (even if not ever finished) for most things. I have had that for the house in general. When it comes to the baby and the nursery I have been... um, slack. Not so much in the dreaming big and thinking of the possibilities...Not even so much in the research. (Most of the mamaology girls think I'm some kind of Eco-Nursery guru - that or whacko!) In the actual movement toward making a "nest" for my baby bird, I haven't done much. Until now.
For months people have been asking about themes, colors, etc... I have SO MANY ideas!!! My mind couldn't wrap around the VAST amount of things of which I kept dreaming. Between me and John and our hopes and dreams for Wee Miller, we couldn't decide even where to begin. Add to our AD/HD the fact that I'm obsessed with healthy options and all that damn research... and you get a set of to-be parents who became stuck.
So back to making moves to a nest... It's been a joke to most of my friends that I have absolutley NOTHING ready for the baby to come. Seriously. I registered for a baby shower only to get a fashionista's closet of clothes for my child. (Which were mostly so damned adorable, it was awesome!) But when it comes to "brass tacks," I was still without a place for this girl to sleep or poo or eat. (I did get some cloth diaper goodies to try. So that was a start in the real-world direction. And since I'm breastfeeding, I guess I could get away without the eating things...)
I've been thinking about this for - oh about 7 months. John and I have been talking and 'looking' for a while... (It hit a sour note: our vaccum died and I'm constantly watching tumbleweeds of cat hair roll by...I knew I should have registered for that DYSON!!) ;) Finally late last week my tone about all of this must have changed. It didn't change in a demanding and offensive bitchy way... No, according to John, it changed in a more "wow, I think it's time" way. Ok, I haven't a clue that it changed at all... I've been trying to get out and get some shit done for weeks.... But it hit John this last week. and I couldn't be happier. :)
He actually suggested we plan a shopping trip - to BUY things! Holy Moly! And not just for the baby, but our house/our changing life too! :)
We threw caution to the wind and set aside our moral code and hit Sam's Club and the Evil Empire of Wal-mart. We both felt tinges of guilt at these actions, but please people! We are just three weeks out and haven't completely figured out how to turn our craps into gold nuggets. We didn't go too commercial and "normal." (How could we?!) HA!! We still read labels and tried to purchase the most eco-friendly/baby friendly we could.
But I tell you... buying diapers in bulk is an interesting experience! We took pictures. Yes.... and I'll add them here once I have my camera back. (John took it to work today.)
It has begun! Some of my nesting changes include the following: moving the white butcher block-style table from the kitchen to the nursery (our TALL person's changing station - A GENIUS idea by my husband), finding a fun table to take it's place in the kitchen (we now have an "eat-in" kitchen! It's just sad that now once we have it, the only person who frequented my kitchen for talks and eats has vowed to never come over again... pisser.) (except for Katie!! She's still my friend and will share a cuppa coffee in my kitchen!!) Anyhoo, I digress....
We found BOOKSHELVES!! One giant one for the Living Room (and plans for another smaller one... and PLANS to hang PICTURES!!! Oh Lord, it's only been three years!! YAY!) as well as a three-shelf case for the nursery.
My Mother-in-law has graciously offered a dresser for the nursery (perhaps another for our room?!). I think they were in John's grandma's house a while back. Yesterday, I spent HOURS sorting baby clothes and blankets. I'm ready to wash everything (as soon as I get the dresser in place).
It's super exciting to think about getting the bags of clothes put into little homes and the boxes of books into their own quaint little homes. ahhhh....
It's a daunting thought... you know, the one where this wee person will make her entrance and her place in this home... I'm sure we will have plenty of people stopping by to see her and check on us. (We have the bestest friends and family.) I really want our home to reflect some order before the true choas begins...
So, it has begun. John will start building the bookcases this evening. I will continue sorting items throughout the house. I hope to post pictures very soon. On that note, I should have some pictures of this belly of mine too... I'm now 37 weeks! According to some... I could "go at any time." I'm still hoping for the 'guess date' or later. But I am excited to meet Baby Bean Miller as soon as she is ready. I've been slacking off on the documentation of this pregnancy... but I'm planning a belly cast soon and I think having a beautiful, healthy child will be proof that I did do this! HA! :)
**Oh and I must give a "shout out" to my loving husband for putting the stroller/travel system together too! I think he's getting used to being the Dad quite well. :)
1 month ago
No comments:
Post a Comment