Monday, March 31, 2008

Glucola: Just for Mama (Daddy couldn't take it)

What a week it has been... or two. Easter has come and gone. My mom's birthday came with little fan fare. My Grandmother has been transfered to a nursing facility (hopefully to receive better care and some rehab). John and I attended a presentation on - well, hoo-hoo care! Ha Ha! I helped celebrate my friend Christine's third baby (to come) with a blessingway.

I've been taking pictures of most of this to document the passing times... but the camera cords are at JOhn's office. So... those will have to wait.

As for today, John and I went to the baby doctor. I'm just about 28 weeks (I say I AM at 28 weeks, based on counting Monday to Monday.... which is the way I had been counting since this whole thing began.) It's funny two appointments ago I went to the Doctor on a Monday and they said "Oh, tomorrow you'll be XX weeks..." This time she said "Oh, in two days you'll be 28 weeks." Both appointments on Mondays...Does this mean I'm in a pregnancy time warp?! heheheh...

In any case... MY calendar says THIRD TRIMESTER! Yippee!! This beautiful baby girl is happy and healthy and dancing - just like her mama!

Today I had my gestational diabetes testing. I, being the weirdo that "reads too much," was a little miffed about having to drink the glucose nastiness "Glucola" in order to participate in such a test. I have no risk factors. I eat pretty damn well. (Yes, I actually LIKE spinach and eggs and fruits and veggies... ) But it's "standard" care these days. According to one website, if they didn't test every pregnant woman (risk factors or not), they'd miss 50 percent of the ges diabetes cases. Surely not... but whatever, I've been low-tech as much as possible and the only other way to test is to get a glucose meter and check your blood sugar everyday for a week. (No, my doctor didn't tell me that. Three women who've used midwifery care did it that way.) And I think since I don't have it, I'd rather just get it all over with.

So, I drank the stuff at 11:43 a.m. (thanks Atomic Clock!) I drank it fast enough to finish the bottle of "Lemon-Lime 50 gram Glucose Tolerance Beverage" at exactly 11:45 a.m. THis was because my take-home instructions said to have the blood draw one hour after finishing the drink. My lab appointment was set for 12:45... get it.... yes.... Well, evidentally that doesn't really matter. I ended up sitting outside of the lab for a while - ringing the little door bell twice and even getting up poking my head inside the lab and saying.... "Heelllooooooo... I have this time-sensative test to take.... blah,blah...." oh well.

The drink wasn't really bad at all. It tasted like Sprite at first sip... then I realized it had no carbonation left. So, the rest was like drinking old, flat sugar water. Nothing bad until I stood up. Yeah, I don't recomend chugging a bottle of old Sprite in less than two minutes. I felt like I had a water balloon slogging around in my already extended belly. I started to feel a bit loopy or foggy headed - I'm sure it was psycho-sematic (sp?)....After hearing all of my crunchy mom friends tell me how horrible the experience was for them. That, or it was simply that I don't eat that much sugar anymore and food affects me almost instantaneously (think about not drinking caffeine for months and then 'splurging' on a Dr. Pepper! eek!) But it truly wasn't that bad.

So the appointment went well. After our discussion last time with Doctor Galupo about a certain Nurse Ratchett.... We had a pleasant experience with Nurse Micki aka country mouse. She was super sweet - although John and I both noticed that she wasn't as adept at finding the baby's heartbeat as cranky ol' Nurse Ratchett. We didn't mind. And wouldn't you know it... even with the infussion of crazy sugar drink, the baby's heart beat was 10 beats slower this time than the average with Nurse Ratchett! **Case in point... mind/body connection! I was more at ease, so was sweet babe!**

For those of your keeping track: My BP was 116/68 and the baby's heartbeat was 156 beats per minute. Perfect! As for my weight... She didn't tell me the actual number, only that I had gained and Dr. Galupo said I was normal. (Does she know or can she tell that has been on my mind since the last visit with Nurse "that's a bit much to gain"?!?) I'm happy with my size and everyone has been telling me I look great. (Thanks to you all!!) I credit a good positive attitude, a pleasant and supportive husband/family/friends, and yoga! (Oh and most importantly for this particular subject... a good healthy view of food and nutrition! -notice I didn't say 'diet.')

That said, I have mucho to do this evening: mamaology meeting just being part of it... And I think that sugar rush is hitting bottom.... I'm going to go rest for a wee bit. John and I are viewing another house in about an hour..... I need to be awake for that!

Side note: Today/Tonight/Tomorrow morning marks 7 years since John and I officially met - and thereby fell head over heels for each other... Can you believe it?! SEVEN whole years! The best of my life.

1 comment:

DC Super Powers said...

What a sweet ending to your post! It made me smile and warmed my heart on a day I really needed it. I adore you!! See you soon... I'll email you. xoxox!