I'm not much of a gardener. I've actually referred to myself as having a black thumb... but I'm hoping to get better. I'm working to get better. Zoey and I have started a garden. (Ok, it's still inside in cups - as you will see.) I'm so excited to be able to eat fresh things that we have grown!! Fresh foods that I know aren't covered in nasty chemicals! (However, with the state of our water here.... ugh, I'm not so sure which is really better...)
In any case, it's a start!! Here's what are trying first: peas, spinach, sweet basil, genovese basil (new to me!), and yellow pear tomatoes (since John doesn't like tomatoes Here's sweet Zoey picking peas to plant. They are the most fun... because the seeds are.. well, PEAS! and They are actually growing very quickly!! (As you will see..)
Watering. Watering... I didn't want to dig out the big watering can, so our tea pot works just fine!
More watering... See the daisies that John gave us when he came back from a business trip. (I have more pictures of them for a later date).
Close up watering... We labeled our yogurt cups (peas in deep yogurt cups because the package said they needed to be started 2 inches below the surface). See, I'm learning. READING and learning!! :)
Our "greenhouse" - Set up in the spare bedroom. The room we never go in. The room full of junk. Well, it has a window and the cats can't get in. (That is, unless Zoey leaves the door open... but she's pretty good.)
Basil!! (Oooooh PESTOS to come again this summer!!!)
Our first sproutings (PEAS)
Zoey loves to touch the pea sprouts. I let her a little, but we try to let them live some too!
Fast picture!
Today!! Some three weeks into the process.... :) Look at those PEAS!!! Every "pot" has sprouted - except one... which I think is pretty good for us. Oh and that apple tree hasn't really donw anything yet either... ;-P (I'm not sure if we are doing this all the "correct" way, but we are having fun!!)
Now.... to get to Lowe's and buy some materials to build a fence... We have HUNGRY deer here... and LOTS off them!
4 comments:
mmm minty mojitos! Enjoy watching your 'baby' food grow :)
You can eat pea shoots! We got some at the last winter market and they were YUM.
Have fun eating the fruits of your labor!
Love the indoor garden. Love the gardeners.
Happy Spring.
Grandma Pat
Oh, I'm so excited to see that you're starting seeds this year!!! I had all intentions of having a seed-starting garden meeting for Mama*ology and never got around to it with all the farm business. Awesome greenhouse set-up. Can't wait to see the progress!! Happy gardening!
Post a Comment