Monday, January 10, 2011

Christmas at the Manor

Christmas at the Manor was a bit different than I had expected this year...  And, I'll start with saying I'm sorry it has taken this long to get any information (aka pictures) to my faithful followers. 

In brief, Zoey was sick.  Normally we go to my Mom and Dad's on Christmas Eve.  This year we decided to extend the holiday and spend the Eve here and go to Sun Valley on Sunday after the big day.  It's a good thing we did.  I'm afraid we might not have caught her sudden fever had we been celebrating and driving back that night.  Her fever came on right about dinnertime.  (And fevers are scary for us with this little one.) 

Christmas morning wasn't met with the bright-eyed toddler experiencing the magic of lights and Christmas goodies that we had intended...  Overnight her fever went up.  Story short:  Zoey spent Christmas morning in the bathtub.  Instead of seeing her Ariel Mermaid doll hanging out of her stocking, Mama got to deliver it to her in the tub.  No seizures, no trips to the Er.  Thank God.  It was the best it could have been for the situation. 

Before we got her in the tub, Zoey threw up some nasty ick.  We called Grandma and Grandpa and woke them up (Grandpa having not slept more than about 45 mins due to sinus pressure or something...) but they came right down in the SNOW anyway.  After medications were delivered, towels acted as fun blankets in the water, and all, Zoey did get her moment to walk into the living room and see Santa's goodies.  Mama and Daddy got to see magic through her eyes.  It was really nice.  I was glad to have the Grandparents here, even if for not the best reasons. 

I kept thinking that day, "What do normal people do?"  As in, I have a feeling most adults, most parents, don't run and call their Mommys (or Mommy-in-laws) when the kid gets sick.  It was probably just a little bug, even if she did fever up again throughout the day, bad enough at dinner that I called the ER trying to talk to someone-anyone about medications and dosing... -Just a bug, because she was better the next day.  Much better.  Better so we felt confident enough to expose her to my Dad.  (That's part 3 of the story... to come.)  But I digress...  We did call Grandma.  We do call.  I call my mom, John's mom...  I ask for advise (sometimes I take it, sometimes I don't).  Do other people do that?  Does it really matter?  I suppose I think too much.  "It takes a village, right?!"  I'm just so happy we have the support.

Our sick baby on Christmas morning.

Daddy feeding Zoey some breakfast while she played on her new slide.  (Even sick kids still play!  Thankfully!)
 Now that I have explained the not-so-fun reasons we will remember this Christmas,  I can tell you we did have fun in the midst of it all.  I made breakfast for everyone.  We got to watch our little girl play.  We opened presents and all the normal Christmasy things.  :)

Christmas wouldn't be Christmas at the Manor without pictures of our furry babies...  This is a close up of Annie.

Here's our fatty, Crinklehead.  :)

Zoey exploring her kitchen from Santa!



Christmas bounty!  Yes, that's "A Christmas Story" on the TV.  We turned it on Christmas Eve night.  We didn't actually get to watch it this year, but that's ok. 


3 comments:

bnicholson said...

Love the new kitchen!

So, I'm not the only one celebrating a new kitchen in 2011! Yay!!

Serafina said...

Sister, since people aren't born knowing how to raise kids, they have to learn somehow! If you didn't have Mom and Mom-in-law to call you would call your pediatrician or your friends with kids. It is no fun to do it alone, we are lucky to have the familial support. Sometimes all we need is a confident voice telling us we are doing the right thing, because all the options can make choosing for a child overwhelming.

I am glad you got Zoey feeling well enough to come see us, it was a great time!

Heidi Ho said...

OK....First, you need to go to my blog and look up last year's Christmas post. Dear, what you have (and I have) experienced is "normal" people's Christmas. As for the support....anywhere, anytime, from most anyone. That's my theory. Knowledge is power. I ask a million questions with every visit to the pediatrician. I am so thankful when Sophie has the "reinforcements" step in and help a very tired mom and dad.

You are doing an amazing job mama!