Saturday, October 3, 2009

Recovery in a small town

For those of you that don't have FaceBook - or aren't a "friend" of mine... Our dear friend David was stabbed on Saturday night/Sunday morning. (a week ago.) It's not something that is easy to talk about. We live in a small town and things like this don't happen here.


He was walking home from downtown and this guy approached him and asked him for $5. Dave said no. He asked again. Again, "no." So the scumbag just stabbed him in the gut. No warning - no brandishing a weapon. Just BAM and then he ran away.


Dave's karate training must have kicked in, because he defended himself. He got his hand cut very badly, but it kept the knife from puncturing anything too vital.


Our dear friend is finally out of the hospital. He's here, at the Manor, with us now. I pretty much forced him to come and stay here. Although he is a pretty private person, I insisted that he needed to be here. He needed someone to do his laundry, someone to cook for him, someone to open pill bottles for him, someone to talk to... so the Millers are that someone. John's been visiting him at the hospital everyday - multiply times since we found out Sunday afternoon. I never went to the hospital. One: I dislike hospitals. Two: I found no need to go expose myself and my child to the hospital ick. He totally understood. :)


So, the recovery begins. Laundry is done. Spare bedroom is "freshened." I wasn't quite ready for him to be released so quickly (um, he was in the ICU on Wednesday! and just had hand surgery yesterday).... so our home-cooked-welcome-home-glad-you-are-alive meal was pizza.

*It's now Saturday night. I started this post last night. Update: Uncle "Daaay" as Zoey calls him is still here! We all went to the local Oktoberfest and walked around for a bit. Yep, our strong friend -stabbed just a week ago- went out and walked around a giant flea market and ate some crappy fair food. He is a superhuman!! (And he's on massive drugs! Don't worry, Mom, they are hidden away from Zoey.)

John made up for our dinner miss last night. He made an AWESOME meal of grilled steak and veggies. yum!

We are so thankful that he is here and on the mend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love how you tagged this post with "gratitude". ...because good people, like you, know that giving is just another way of showing gratitude. I adore you all. And any time I can do any thing for any of you, it fills ME with gratitude... Gratitude that I have such wonderful people in my life that I would do anything for them.
I love you!