Monday, June 1, 2009

a little thing, I know... but still

The garbage people took our recycling this morning! How do I know this? We had so much this time that we had two continers full and they took one and left the other for the recycling truck. They even left the smaller one. Damnit! It literally makes me sick to my stomach. Why does it upset me so? It's only recycling... you say. Yes. Some even say that recycling could be a 'problem' because it makes people think they are doing good things for the earth - and they stop there. Leaving other eco-friendly things (that have a larger impact) undone. Well...

Screw that mentality!

I know we are the only ones on this street that recycle curbside. But damnit!! I clean all of those plastic containers and baby food jars! I take my time, my husband's time, and have even "trained" our friends to wash out their beer bottles and set them aside!!

I recycle and still unplug unused electrical items and turn off lights when not in a room and switch to better bulbs and on and on and even have a husband researching alternative fuels projects!!!

BUT. I. STILL. RECYCLE.

Is that so HARD, people!

.... Ok, sorry... It's off my chest now. I'll be ok... that is until I have to walk past the left over recycling container...... I'll prepare myself not to scream "OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!" at random neighbors... because I'm sure they already think I'm weird and, in their defense, have no idea that the garbage man did anything other than his job. In fact, they are probably happy not to have the "unsightly" box of unbagged garbage off of the curb....

I'm going to go take this sweet baby of mine out of the house and enjoy the sunshine... and maybe pick up some trash...

3 comments:

Serafina said...

Do you have a local recycling center? We always have more recycling than trash, and I am not paying for the giant blue dumpster thingy the city sells when you have more than will fit in the little blue bin. We just take it to the center every week or so. Zoey is still small, but once she's bigger it'll be a great family outing. Delia always checks for a recycle code before she throws anything away, and now she knows to look at a product before we buy it and see if the package is recyclable!

I am proud of you for your Green efforts. Now if we can just talk your old man out of that gas guzzler he drives around... :)

Trisha said...

...as for that gas guzzler... I get my Hybrid before he gets a new car!!! :)

bnicholson said...

I sort and recycle too! Don't understand why it is such a big deal for some folks!